ED Pt left before final disposition

I need help - we have patients that come to the ED, are seen by a PA, NP, DO or MD, have tests ordered, then leave before the tests results are given to the patient.  Can the facility charge an ED visit or not? If you have regulations to support I would be most appreciative but will take ANY advise I can get.  Thank you in advance. 

Comments

• You would only not bill if the patient was not seen by a licensed provider. If the patient left, you still have an obligation to contact the patient with the results, especially if abnormal or require followup.
  • To add to this, let's say that the ED doctor orders a stool sample and sends collection tubes home with patient.  Patient returns the next day [or later] with specimen.  How is the stool sample billed since the ED doctor was the order physician?  Can it all be attached to the ED claim since it is related?  or does it have to be separate since the specimen collection date is different?
  • The DOS for the stool specimen is the date the lab get the specimen. If the test as ordered for diarrhea and the patient can't produce it that day, gotta wonder about the diagnosis ;)
Sign In to comment.