OR Supply Charging

Looking for some feedback as to how other organizations are charging for their supplies. Do you have a minimum threshold to charge for supplies? If so, what is the threshold? We are currently at $100 and are wondering what the advantage would be in lowering that number.

Comments

• I know of many facilities that have a minimum threshold with the range varying from $5 to around $75, so $100 does seem rather high. Do you include include implantables and C-coded items in that threshold? If so, I would definitely recommend changing your policy to allow implants and specialty devices such as those listed here to be charged regardless of cost when appropriately documented: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/medicare-fee-for-service-payment/hospitaloutpatientpps/downloads/complet-list-devicecats-opps.pdf

• You will need to partner closely with your supply chain and revenue cycle teams. Before asking what the appropriate supply threshold should be, first ask why you are setting a threshold. Is your intent to give a more true accounting of cost or are you adjusting it for a public relations standpoint? I have in times past a threshold of $20. This will allow me to capture the costs of supplies that just don't make it to the $100 (e.g. LP tray, etc.). The $20 also allows me to not include those items such as slippers, etc. that could immediately turn into a media fiasco. As Sarah mentions above, implants are a different ball of wax. Hope this helps.

Sign In to comment.