Supplies Master List (Non DME)

We’re in the process of setting up a new Clinical and Financial system at my organization (Epic).  In the past, we never charged for supplies that were not on the DME list (we’re not DME licensed).  However, we began capturing and charging a couple of years ago for the supplies that had a hcps/cpt code and were above a specific dollar range.  Now we’re in the next phase of trying to identify a Master List of Supplies that would map to hcpcs or rev codes for all supplies, even those without a hcps.  Do you know if such a list exist?

I couldn’t find anything on the CMS website and not sure where else we can check.  Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Angela,

We recently did this with our Epic implementation.  It was a challenge & time consuming,

We  created guidelines on how to determine chargeability of supplies primarily using CMS guidelines.

(No DME charges, documented in the medical record, ordered by a physician or physician extender, not routine, no patient convenience items, etc.)

We started by requesting a list of all supplies ordered through People Soft over a two year period for surgical areas.

We then separated the list by manufacturer and used their tools to identify the correct HCPC, if there was one. Cook for example has one of the best look up tools:  https://www.cookmedical.com/support/reimbursement/

Our hospitals use UNSPSC codes to group supplies, this was a huge help in reviewing the supplies too. 

All supplies were reviewed against our guidelines and when applicable we assigned a HCPC & mapped the supply to a charge code which triggered the rev code.

To answer your question I don't believe there is a list but CMS does have some materials on how charge for supplies and map HCPC's.

(42 CFR 414.202)

Section 2202.6 of the Medicare reimbursement manual.

NUBC for definition of an implant (to help determine when rev code 278 is applicable)

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/HospitalOutpatientPPS/Downloads/Complet-list-DeviceCats-OPPS.pdf

Sign In to comment.