Emergent Transfers

Greetings!  

Looking for feedback/workflow on emergent transfers coming from another facility.  

• Do you have a central transfer center?
  • Do you require admission through the ED versus direct admit?
  • Who enters the admission status in Epic (i.e. PAS, PCLC, etc).  

Thanks!

Comments

• We have a central transfer center for each location.

ED vs direct admit: This varies based on patient status, what services they require, bed space, etc. I don't have the full details, but to some degree it's case by case discussion with the nursing coordinator, the transfer center, and the attending accepting the transfer. If the assigned attending thinks the patient needs care more immediately than the inpatient unit can provide, they can request the patient go through the ED first, and then in turn the ED attending is consulted. Obstetric patients can go directly to L&D as a point of admission (transfer related or not) if clinically appropriate, unless they would be better served by a different unit like cardiology. If the attending thinks the patient needs to go by air, the flight crew are also contacted and are part of that coordination.

I'm not familiar with the PAS/PCLC abbreviations, but the patient status is tied to the physician's order to admit. When the order is placed, it triggers the bed request and a request for UM to review the level of care, which they will discuss with the physician if necessary.

Sign In to comment.